Tuesday, April 29, 2008

How Will I beat Obscurity?

This is the question I ask myself every day; How will I keep from becoming just another noise in the vast and rapidly growing music vortex?

How can I stand out from the other ten million people with computers and audio composition software?

The first answer that comes to mind is: Use more than just the software. Use my guitar, my bass, my drum set...but even better still; Use pots and pans, glass, plastic, wood, metal, etc. etc.

Secondly I could use my voice.

Yeah, it scares me as much as it does the few people who actually know me. I have only screamed for one punk band in my life and let me tell you: It is very difficult to hide behind a microphone stand (even if you are 6'2" and 135 lb.).

Every time I pull up a website like Imeem, Myspace, AimeStreet, etc. I see countless new producers and DJ's making a way for themselves in the world. They overshadow the established artists and in fact I do not know that I even see established acts appearing very often at all.

They scary thing is that these new artists are not around for more than a few days when someone new has taken their place. Frightening!

How does anyone compete in such a saturated environment?

Here is the secret:

Make your music for YOU and YOU alone.

Anything else that happens after you are happy with your music is just icing on the cake. If you do not do what you do for the sheer pleasure of it then you are not an artist.

Don't get me wrong...I will take money for my art. I would even admit that it is one of many goals concerning my art. Just not my first priority, if it was it would probably kill my inspiration.

I tell myself this so I can get to sleep at night...and also; Don't quit your day job!

No comments: