Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Punk Is King and Always Has Been

.......................................................................................
A friend of mine who shall remain anonymous (the irony of that which only he and I will understand) has made me think real hard about what I am doing musically. Not by questioning me or by directly feeding me information or guidance, he steered me via his own music. I was inspired. This anonymous friend has made some truly telling music that has obviously come from his soul (or whatever you want to call it). Some of it is dark...OK, most of it but that is not the point. The point is that the music comes from something real and not just from boredom or monetary expectation. I suffer mostly from the former in regards to my music making. I do it out of pleasure from boredom.

I want to make Punk Rock music. Don't get it twisted folks, you need to know what Punk Rock is before you decide it is a drastic departure from my perceived genre of Electronica. In fact you need to break apart any preconceptions regarding genre because genre is dead except in a very broad sense of the word.

Rock
Jazz
Country
Classical

There is nothing else after those four. Those are the only four genres and everything else stems from them. Really, think about it. Once you have accepted this then continue reading.

I want to make all four and never be able to tell them apart but I do not see that happening too easily. I am tired of worry and stress over what will fit where and who will like it and who will buy it or for that matter even listen to it! Screw it I say! I want to make music that means something to me.

Rant, rant, rant.

No comments: